A variety of curries, tandoor, tikkas with red chillies, pepper, garlic, ginger...hmmm yuymmymouth watering favours of India.
True but lets dont get excited here. Excess spicy food for the first time can cause inflammation of the lining of your stomach and cause gastritis charactorised typically by abdoninal pain, tenesmus and loose stools. And it is no fun on a holiday or any day in fact.
Here are a few tips to help you enjoy the flavours of Kerala without stomach upset:
- When you are ordering spicy food, ask them to make it mild spicy.
- Have a glass of milk or buttermilk after a spicy meal.
- Have fruits or fruit juices in between meals.
- Drink lots of water during the day.
- Try not to combine caffiene/ alcholol containing drinks with spicy foods.