Area: 2203 sq. km Population: 18,20,000 Altitude: Sea Level
Kottayam town: 76 km south-east of Kochi.
(1) Prominent commercial centre.
(2) Thirunakkara Shiva Temple. Its Kootambalam (temple theater) is one of the best in Kerala.
(3) St Mary’s Church (Cheriapally). It has exquisite murals and has paintings on Biblical and non-biblical themes which are excellent.
(4) Caritas Ayurvedic Hospital.
(5) Dhanwanthari Ayurvedic Centre.
(6) Sukhodaya Ayurveda Hospital.
(7) Dhanwanthari Vaidyasala & Treatment Centre.
(9) Brahmasree Puliyanoor Vishnu Namboodiri (Astrologer).
(10) P S Manojkumar, Thirunakkara (Astrologer).
Kumarakom: Not far away from Kottayam town.
(1) Backwater village. Abundant facilities for boat cruise and houseboat stay.
(2) Bird Sanctuary on the eastern banks of Vembanad Lake.
(3) Bay Island and Driftwood Museum. Near boat jetty.
4 km from Kottayam town. Bhagawathy Temple. Festival in November/December.
Near Kottayam. Kodumarugu Mana.
Mannanam: 8 km west of Kottayam town. St Joseph Church. Important Christian Pilgrim Centre. Main Feast on 3rd Sunday after Easter.
11 km from Kottayam. Saraswathy Temple.
Vadavathoor: Near Kottayam. K K Sadanandan (Astrologer).
Kudamaloor: Near Kottayam. Kudamaloor Sarma (Astrologer).
Near Kottayam town. Famous Christian Pilgrim Centre.
Ettumannor: 12 km north of Kottayam. Shiva Temple. 10 days festival in February/March.
Thazhathangadi: On the banks of Meenachil River. Beautiful Mosque made of teak.
Iravimangalam: Some distance from Kottayam town. Adityapuram Suryadeva Temple.
Thiruvalla: Near Kottayam. Thiruvalla Temple. Festival in April/May.
Meenachil: Few km from Kottayam.
(1) St Mary’s Knanaya Church. Main Feast on April 24.
(2) St Mary’s Orthodox Church.
Thirukodithanam: 18 km east of Kottayam, near Changanassery. Thirukodithanam Temple. Festival in November/December.
28 km from Kottayam. Small town. Trade centre.
(1) Amba Ayurveda Vaidyasala.
(2) Sree Sankara Ayurveda Ayurveda Vaidyasala.
(3) Sree Sankara Community Ltd.
(4) N Vijayakumar (Astrologer).
(5) Maheshwaran Namboodiri (Astrologer).
(6) Thuruthy Puthumana Illam (Mana)
Kanirapilly: East of Changanassery. Plantation town. Aristroct Chris;tian families. Decent Churches.
Mundakkayam: Near Kanjirapilly. Rubber plantations galore.
Kurumullur: Distanced from Kottayam. Kurumullur Balan (Astrologer).
Kallara: Distanced from Kottayam. Kallara Unnikrishnan Namboodiri (Astrologer).
Vaikom: 40 km from Kottayam.
(1) Historical. Mahatma Gandhi undertook Satyagraha.
(2) Jyothishacharya Dr Enachi Mohanan (Astrologer).
Vaikom Road: Some distance from Vaikom. Railway Station.
Thalayolaparambu: 27 km from Vaikom. Small plantation town.
Thuruthy: Near Changanassery. Mahaganapathy Devasthanam.
Chambakkara: Distance frim Kottyam. Sree Rangam CVN Kalari Chikilsakendram.
Chengannur: Near Kottayam. Chengannur Temple.
Aranmula: Near Chengannur.
(1) Aranmula Temple. Festival in December/January.
(2) Aranmula Vallamkali (boat race) during Onam in September/October.
Kappad: 5 km from Kanjirapilly junction. St Thomas Benedictine Monastery.
Pala: East of Changanassery.16 km from Ettumanoor. Plantation town. Wealthy Christian families. St Thomas Cathedral.
Kuruvilangad: 10 km north of Ettumannoor. St Mary’s Forane Church.