Kannur Visitor Guide
Kannur’s north boundary touches Kasargod district and Karnataka State, east Karnataka, south Kozhikode and west Arabian sea. It was the capital of the North Kolathari Rajas for many centuries. Once it a was premier port of ancient Kerala. Kannur was identified as Nauna in the famous 1st century Greek travelogue, "The Periplus of the Erythraean Sea"
The great temple of Jerusalem was built by the timber collected from the shores of Kannur by King Solomon’s ships. The celebrated traveller, Marco Polo, once called it a ‘ ‘a great emporium of the spice trade’. Kannur completed its presence in the world scenario when Portuguese built a fort in 1505.
Coastal town Kannur is the headquarters of Kannur district with a wider choice of accomodation than anywhere else in the area, including some beach side guest houses. At the heart of the town Railway Muthappan temple exists. Here Theyyam, a folk dance, get performed every day from 5 pm to 8 pm. Theyyam is considered a must see art. The town has a number of historical monuments. The famous Fort St Angelo built by Portuguese in 1505 is a landmark of then town. The fort, maintained by Archaeological Survey of India, is silhouetted against the sea. The ramparts of Angelo were once the residence of about 1000 people. Standing on the walls of it, sea and the Mopla Bay, yet another attraction, are viewed better.
Tourist Office: DTPC, Taluk Office Campus, Kannur
Getting to Kannur
Air : Kozhikode Airport. Distance 114 km
Rail : Kannur. Access from important centres.
Road : KSRTC, Kannur. Access from all important centres in Kerala