St Francis Church
Built in timber by Portuguese in 1503, it was overlaid with stone masonry later. Vasco da Gama was cremated here in 1524.
Built in timber by Portuguese in 1503, it was overlaid with stone masonry later. Vasco da Gama was cremated here in 1524. His remains were later removed to Lisbon. His tomb, however, still exists. The church was built on the land gifted by the local Raja, and the title deeds written on pam leaf are still kept inside. It became an Anglican church with the advent of the British in 1795 and one hangover from British days is the continued use of manually operated punkahs or fans, the large swinging cloth fans on frames suspended above the congregation.
The grave stones were tossed into the walls of the church in 1886. The ‘Doop Book’, that is, old baptism and the marriage register, from 1751 to 1804, kept in the vestry, are the delights of history seekers. A photo copy of the Doop Book is kept outside the vestry to enable interested visitors to glance through.
Location: Church Road
Open: 6am - 7pm
Mass at 7.15 am